Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm Still Alive

But a lot has happened since I last posted! Well, maybe not really a lot, seeing how I've basically been confined to the house for the last month. The month before that wasn't all exciting either - basically travelling someplace different every week for work, and getting tired of it. So, when I got sent to Louisiana a month ago, I said enough was enough and got hit by a truck. A month ago today. Hence being confined to the house. Now, before you freak out, I'll tell you that I didn't break anything, and nothing was fractured. Basically I'm alright. There was major bruising and I have a lump on each of my thighs that the doctors are calling hematomas. They're unsightly, they hurt like hell, and they say it'll take 6 months to a year to heal. That means sitting at home with my feet up and ice on the boo boos whenever possible. Fun fun fun! Work has been great for me, and has sent some stuff here for me to do at my request so I don't go too crazy. Though it's hard to have the laptop or keyboard on my lap. The workers comp doctors haven't been so great, but I'll get into that later.

So, what exactly happened, you ask? I was on a job site logging soil borings from the tailgate of my rented pickup truck when one of my subs backed their F-350 1 ton duelly up to about 6-8 feet away from me. He put his truck in park, left it running, and started to get out. The truck then slipped out of park and into reverse, the door knocking him down, and the truck backing up right into me and pinning me between the two vehicles. It hurt. It hurt bad. But, I have to be extremely thankful that most of my height is legs, and I had an extra 6" due to my steel toe boots. If I hadn't had the boots on, or if I were a little shorter, it would have crushed my pelvis. Things being the way they were, I got crushed where I carry most of my weight and where the largest bones of the body are. I got lucky, very lucky. The following pictures are of my rental truck. The two trucks never touched each other.

Anyways, that's about all that's been going on in my life lately. I've been working on a few projects, read a few books, and slept when I can. Just thought I would update everyone while I was awake/aware enough to do it. Here are some of my WIPs (I don't have a picture of the most recent one that I started) and my one project that I actually finished.

This is a crocheted shawl using Rainbow boucle. I decided after this picture was taken that it needed fringe. Not sure how I feel about it, but it's nice and warm and I love the pattern. My most recent FO.

My first attempt at socks! I'm so clost to being done, but got tired of dealing with 5 needles. Maybe I'll get the inspiration to finish at least one sock and that will give me the inspiration to make a second one!

And my knitted self-fringing shawl that I have been working on FOREVER! Every now and again I get it under my skin to work on it, but I get about two rows done and can't bring myself to work on it anymore. It will get finished, eventually.

So, that's it on my end. Hope everyone is doing much better then me. I'll get into what's going on with the doctors later. I need to get this keyboard off my lap now :)


Shealynn Benner said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! SO glad you are OK! I guess the silver lining *might* be getting to rest, and not having to travel very much! I am sure it's nice to spend time with Kyle and your pugs! ;) Glad to see another post! Keep 'em comin!

Que Sarah said...

Ugh. Mah. Gawd. I was wondering where you've been!! I had no idea I should've been sending good vibes your way :( I'm so glad you're ok - your ass did some damage on that truck ;-) Seriously, thank God you're alright, I hope the pugs have been helping their mama feel better!!

Kimberly said...

Oh no! I hope that you are doing better! I'll be sending you an e-mail soon....promise!