Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Update #2

Woohoo! Two in a row! This one contains all my big news:

Before my Christmas vacation, I had decided that I had been working for 5 years and was finally eligible to take my Professional Geologist (PG) exam. Woohoo! So, I sent in my application and found out after I got back that I was indeed eligible and I could register for the exam. Great. Now I have to remember all that stuff I learned in college and haven't used since. Fun. I was hoping that in the registration packet they would provide some info on where to get study materials. I was wrong. All they provided were two little practice tests (one for the fundamentals test and one for the professional test). Little meaning 23 questions and answers each. Well, one test is 130 questions, and the other is 100. Ugh. They also provided a little outline with the different subjects within the field that could be on the exams. That's it. Nothing else. So, I called the board to find out where I can get study materials. They don't condone the sale of any study materials, and therefore can't tell me anything. They could tell me that some of their past test takers had taken a study class. But that's it. Grrrr. So, I started searching the internet. I found one forum website that had a thread on this exam, and a couple of people recommended a study guide. Yeah! They do exist! Even if there is only one. So, I orderd it. And paid $147. Ouch! Received the package yesterday and now have gone to completely stressed and not knowing where to start to having a plan and being excited. The study materials seem like they are going to be very helpful. And they have 4 practice exams (2 for each test) that are 100 questions each, plus some practice problems. So, this weekend I will be taking those exams to see what I still know, what I don't remember, and what I never learned. I will then have a really good idea of where to start in my studying. The test is March 3rd. Wish me luck!

The other big news I have is I have decided to go back for my masters degree this fall. I will be studying Hydrogeology at UTSA, provided the accept me! They want me to apply online, yet the application isn't up yet. Go figure. Guess I can start working on getting all my transcripts there as well as my GRE scores. Fun fun fun! Oh, I think I need recomendations too... One of my old bosses has offered to be a recommendation - now I think I just need to find 2 more people. Preferable people who have known me longer than 5 years.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Good luck on studying and then taking the test! And going back for your masters in the fall!! Go you!! I am still procrastinating on that one.....just can not get the oomph to think about it....having to decide what to get my masters in, where to get it from.......I'm already getting a headache thinking about it!!